Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Writing in General

Personally, I enjoy writing in general. My whole life I have always enjoyed it and it has not been a burden to me like other student's seem to feel at times. Since I was young I have always kept a diary and enjoyed writing down my thoughts. 

When it comes to writing in school I enjoy it slightly less than my own personal writing. Being assigned more challenging essay or research topics can sometimes sway me from wanting to write. I think that a lot of students don't like writing because they have only ever done essay-type writing which feels forced to them.

When teaching writing to students I think that it is essential to emphasize the creative side of writing. Having students do activities like free-writes or writing about the topic of their choice is essential because it is an enjoyable way to write. Students that are solely exposed to informational and essay writing give writing a bad name because they never broaden their horizons when it coms to the writing process. Writing should never feel forced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment